techfrederick Celebrates Inaugural Techie Awards with Unprecedented Success
FREDERICK, MD – December 13, 2023 – techfrederick, a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the growth of the technology industry in Frederick County, is thrilled to announce the outstanding success of its inaugural Techie Awards held on December 12, 2023, at Union Mills Public House. The Techie Awards ceremony attracted over 110 attendees, bringing together industry leaders, innovators, and tech enthusiasts to celebrate the exceptional contributions of individuals and companies shaping the local tech community.
The techfrederick Techie Awards were designed to recognize the invaluable contributions of the everyday workers who keep the tech industry running smoothly and continuously push the boundaries of what is possible. The celebration highlighted the remarkable achievements of seven award winners who have significantly impacted the Frederick tech community.
The award categories and respective winners include:
- STEM Student Achievement: Carly Shearer, Student – Carly is currently a first-year student and Center for Women in Technology Scholar at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County studying computer science.
- Outstanding STEM Educator: Dr. David Gurzick, Hood College – David has contributed significantly to the development of a STEM curriculum, throughout the business field, and Hood College.
- Rising Star Award: Alex Pensinger, YMCA – Alex is a current IT Support Specialist at the YMCA, where he is enthusiastic about the mission, coming in with a fresh perspective and creating efficiencies so the YMCA workforce can be efficient no matter where they are located.
- Outstanding Community Advocate: Alejandro Cruz, Orases –created a scholarship program to provide laptops to LYNX students who may not have access to technology at home due to financial constraints or other barriers.
- Most Promising Startup: Sue Carr, CarrTech Corp – CarrTech’s product is the first of its kind and will help communities around the world with limited access to medical supplies, making it the go-to choice for the industry going forward.
- Unsung Hero Award (two winners): Steve Bladey, Transit Services of Frederick County – Steve created real time tracking for local transit services. He can and does, serve in any and every role as needed.
Devin Haas, Morgan Keller – Devin often takes on most of the more challenging support tickets with a limited IT staff and manages his workload with efficiency and a positive attitude.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Richard Yockman, Edgewater Federal Solutions – Richard founded Edgewater Federal Solutions over 20 years ago. Through his leadership, Edgewater has become a highly decorated IT company that is recognized throughout the Department of Energy and within the industry as a trusted partner with a stellar reputation.
“We are thrilled with the success of the inaugural techfrederick Techie Awards. The overwhelming support and enthusiasm from the community highlight the strength and vibrancy of Frederick’s local technology landscape,” said Meghan Sweigart, Executive Director of techfrederick. “Congratulations to all the winners and nominees for their outstanding contributions, and we look forward to making the Techie Awards an annual tradition that continues to shine a spotlight on the incredible talent and innovation in Frederick.”
The techfrederick Techie Awards underscore the organization’s commitment to fostering growth, collaboration, and recognition within the Frederick technology community. techfrederick extends its gratitude to sponsors, partners, and participants who contributed to the success of this landmark event.
For more information about techfrederick and the Techie Awards, please visit www.techfrederick.org.
techfrederick is a nonprofit organization that serves as the hub for technology and innovation in Frederick County, Maryland. techfrederick’s mission is to connect, educate and empower a strong technology community and its partners by fostering growth, innovation, and collaboration for the benefit of all who live and work in the region. For more information, visit techfrederick.org.